Search This Blog

Monday 23 September 2013

September knitting and crochet retreat

It has been a wet and windy week, on Friday I headed off to Bordeaux to pick up Clare and Irene, two regulars from my old knitting group at Kangaroo, just as I arrived at the airport the sun came out. It was great to see them both again and catch up on all the news!

We spent the whole of Saturday sitting in the sunshine with our knitting. Clare has brought two projects with her, a bag knitted in a gorgeous Lopi wool she bought in Iceland and Jane Crowfoot's beautiful zig-zag crochet cushion cover from Kaleidoscope. Irene has started a cable jacket knitted in a yarn that she has spun and dyed herself. She is cursing me for making her knit a tension square, but it proved that the original pattern she chose just didn't work with the yarn, so she has started another one and it is growing fast.
I am struggling over an idea I have for a lacy top for a magazine design, I can see it in my head but just don't seem to be able to make it work.
On Sunday morning Clare, Irene and I went for a wander around the food market in Saintes, buying seafood for lunch and some gorgeous ripe figs. Then a trip to the huge brocante at Hyper U, there were too many stalls to visit but we found a few bargains and I managed to resist increasing my stash of vintage linen sheets!







In the afternoon our other two guests, Elke and Frank arrived from Germany. Elke is here to join us for a bit of knitting, bringing with her a selection of projects for scarves, shawls, a jacket and some fingerless mitts, her husband Frank is doing a woodturning course with Culli and tutor Roger Slater.
Monday is another beautiful day with clear blue skies and a light breeze, we spend the morning alternating between the garden and the barn depending on how hot we get in the sun. Frank is doing well with the woodturning and has produced a dibber by the end of the day.


It is warm enough to sit outside in the evening and enjoy a supper of chicken tagine and chocolate torte.

No comments:

Post a Comment