As you may know, Macmillan Cancer Support is the charity of the year for ‘The Knitter’ magazine. Macmillan do an amazing job for people who are living with cancer and many of our families will have been helped by their services. ‘The Knitter’ are launching a Nationwide campaign called the Macmillan Comfort Blanket in association with the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning on 25th September and supported by Rowan. We are asking knitters all over the UK to knit squares (20cm x 20cm squares to be precise). In fact we would like them to host a Coffee Morning for their knitting group, friends and family and knit 40 squares to make a Comfort Blanket, 8 squares long by 5 squares wide. Each Comfort Blanket we make will be given to somebody who is living with cancer so the more blankets we knit, the more people we benefit. We have asked designers from around the world to create lots of square patterns especially for our campaign. Based on Rowan’s Pure Wool DK we have squares by Debbie Bliss, Alice Starmore, Meg Swansen, Kaffe Fassett, Marie Wallin, Kim Hargreaves…… the list is endless. These can be downloaded at http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Get_Involved/Worlds_Biggest_Coffee_Morning/theknitter.aspx
So here is what knitters need to do to take part in the Macmillan Comfort Blanket:
1. Download patterns from www.macmillan.org.uk/theknitter
2. Register for a coffee morning or donate online www.macmillan.org.uk/coffee or call 0845 602 1246 quoting NA3
3. Knit squares with your knitting group
4. Take 40 beautiful squares and sew together into a Comfort Blanket
5. Send you Comfort Blanket to: The Knitter Macmillan Comfort Blanket, Future Publishing Ltd, 30 Monmouth Street, Bath, BA1 2BW or drop it off with us at The Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexander Palace.
Our target is 100 blankets, that’s 4,000 squares and we are planning lots of exciting news between now and October so do keep an eye on our Ravelry group, the Macmillan and the Rowan sites.